Thursday, 16 January 2014

Standing dead Birch


I came across a nice standing dead Birch to scrounge over yesterday. Its situated on a NW facing bank above the Rhymney river, just over from my house. I grabbed a few small handfuls of the looser material to check an was presently surprised at what was contained within this small mix of bark and pulp. Several Craspedosoma rawlinsii, Chordeuma proximum, Platybunus triangularis,and Sabacon viscayanum ramblaianum.

Also had singles of Tachyporus dispar, Megabunus diadema, Rhagium mordax, Anthocoris nemorum and Lepthyphantes minutus. Did also get a few Springtails which i did not bother with, a female Quedius mesomelinus/maurus and some other tiny Staphs I've yet to id.



Rhagium mordax with Craspedosoma rawlinsii below
Old photo of my first Rhagium mordax.
Was not the best day for taking photos, dark and gloomy so the majority of the photos i took were useless.
Tachyporus dispar
Edit...Those Craspedosoma rawlinsii i mentioned above were in fact a new species for Britain. You can read about them and their discovery here Ceratosphys amoena form confusa .I have yet to find C. rawlinsii...


7 comments:

  1. Hello Christian! Didn't know you had a blog. Duly bookmarked and will follow this one keenly for sure. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrew, Happy New Year to you.

      Not long started it mate. I'm not the best at putting mind to paper, so i thought i needed some practice, what better than a blog.

      I thought you had a blog somewhere, I've been looking for it...deleted?

      Delete
  2. Just finished looking at those tiny Staphs, they best fitted Leptus ruficollis. http://www.coleo-net.de/coleo/texte/pachygluta.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is still running. If you click on my name it will take you to it. I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't find it mate, its just a screen with your name on. Some links taking me to a page telling me to sign up and tick yes for Piscaweb?

    Perhaps i need to join Google+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger has been quite strange for me lately. Someone else also told me they could not find my blog.

    http://devonswildthings20011.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks mate i shall pin it to my site and give it a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete